Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Half Marathon Training Plan

It's officially half marathon training time!

I have spent some time putting together various different training plans and finally found one that would work well with my busy schedule while allowing me to pack on the miles. The race is about 13 weeks away and I couldn't be more excited. I have doubts some days that I won't be able to run 13.1 miles but I think the long runs are really going to help and are the most important part of the training.

On the days I don't run I am going to do other forms of activity. I am going to get in either 30 minutes of circuit training or cross training (ie. elliptical, stair master, bike), incorporate some strength training either upper or lower body depending on the day, and do some stretching.



I am currently on Week 2 of training and completed 6 miles earlier today. I had to run them on the treadmill but I felt great the entire time. It wasn't until around mile 4.5 that I felt some pain but I pushed through it. I ran at a 9:30 pace for a majority of the run and ran at 9:15 pace every now and then.



Have you ever ran a half marathon? Did you follow a training plan?

13 comments:

  1. Nice job! Good luck with your training. Just make sure to factor in some rest. One day a week, at least.

    I'm training for half marathons No. 6 and 7 right now. For my first, I followed Hal Higdon and for my sub-2:00 I did a Runners World plan. Now, I just kind of do my thing, using a plan for long run structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops I uploaded the wrong plan! Thanks for pointing that out to me :) I fixed it though. I have seen a lot of runners using Hal Higdon's training plan!

      Delete
  2. Wow - 6 miles on a treadmill? I think I'd rather run 50 miles outside ;) Your training plan looks great! I definitely have to train for any race I do. And don't doubt yourself, my friend - who is a marathoner - once told me that if I could run 5 miles, I could do a half-marathon. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that saying too. Someone told me if you can run 5 miles then you should be able to run 15 because your body can triple the mileage easily! Let's hope so ;)

      Delete
  3. My half marathon is coming up soon... 2/24! I've sort of stopped following a training plan, which I know is NOT good, but I'm sort of out of time! I plan to do 11 miles this weekend (or hope to!) and then a short run the following weekend, then the half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your race! I hope that I don't fall off track and stick to this but we will see!

      Delete
  4. Your plan looks great girl!! Don't forget rest though girl.. very important :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will make sure to throw some rest days in

      Delete
  5. Nice plan of the the mini marathon.
    We also have a marathon this weekend and I am excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your training plan looks great. And, don't worry... you will be able to do 13.1 miles. I have run 2 half -marathons...used Hal Higdon plans both times. I am currently fighting off a case of IT band issues... never ending cycle for me. Best of luck training. Excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! It's always great to hear from other runners about their experiences. Good luck with your IT band issues. Injuries are the worst!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...